Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lemon in 20 minutes :D

I actually painted this in 20 minutes. It's on cardstock 4 1/2" x 6" and I primed it with Gesso. I have been priming my canvas and paper with White Latex because I read in a book a long time ago that White Latex could substitute for Gesso. I don't believe it after painting on something primed with Gesso. The paint actually flowed on the Gesso. Up til now it has felt like it has been dragged off the brush. I'll never use White Latex again. Learn something new every day I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I am not sure why this is striking me so, but really wonderful, Charlotte! The few times I venture into oils, I always prime with gesso. Of course, I am novice with them so I've only heard of that medium for prepping canvas. I do like painting on masonite though. I might have to try priming w/c paper with gesso and seeing how that takes the oils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Latex as a primer substitute. I always use gesso and it's the best. Nice rendering of the lemon - you pulled off the volume superbly - something I find difficult with spherical objects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and Charlotte...20 minutes...!!!! Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, using White Latex has been a big mistake all these years. It worked okay with the oil paints, but totally sucked with the acrylics. Glad I finally have found Gesso, better late than never I guess.

    ReplyDelete